Toña la Negra: why she kicks ass
- She was an Afro-Mexican singer of bolero music.
- She became popular for her interpretations of Augustín Lara’s songs.
- She also did interpretations of poems and songs of Rafael Hernández, Sindo Garay, Gonzalo Curierl, Ignacio Piñeiro, Pedro Flores and Andrés Eloy Blanco.
- She is considered a musical icon in Latin American music.
- She promoted women’s suffrage in Mexico.
- She spoke about her experiences as a black woman regardless of often being white-washed.